Thank you for inviting me to give evidence to the inquiry being undertaken by the All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image. I am providing this evidence in my capacity as the Government’s Minister for Equalities.
The Government recognises that low body confidence is a real issue in society, for men, women and children. We are firmly committed to this agenda and launched a Government body confidence campaign to address the problem.
The campaign has three aims:
- We want to see a wider spectrum of healthy body shapes represented in popular culture, to include all ages and ethnicities, and different shapes and sizes. This is something that we need to work with industry to achieve.
- We want to make sure people have a better understanding of the images they receive every day in the media. To do that, we must give individuals the tools to critically assess these images.
- We want people to recognise that inte
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites