- There were an estimated 4.5 million private sector businesses in the UK at the start of 2011, an increase of 94,000 (2.1 per cent) since the start of 2010.
- These businesses employed an estimated 23.4 million people, and had an estimated combined annual turnover of £3,100 billion.1
- Almost two-thirds (62.4 per cent) of private sector businesses were sole proprietorships, 27.7 per cent were companies and 9.8 per cent were partnerships.
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (SME)2 accounted for 99.9 per cent of all enterprises, 58.8 per cent of private sector employment and 48.8 per cent of private sector turnover.
Stock of businesses and their associated employment and turnover
There were an estimated 4.5 million private sector businesses in the UK at the start of 2011, an increase of 94,000 (2.1 per cent) since the start of 2010.3
At the start of 2011, the 4.5 million UK private sector enterprises employed
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites