Today Girlguiding UK is responding to the shocking numbers of teenage girls considering cosmetic surgery by launching ‘Give yourself a chance’, an interactive digital resource offering tips to girls and young women urging them to consider alternative ways to boost self-esteem other than cosmetic surgery.
Girlguiding UK has created ‘Give yourself a chance’ to tackle an issue highlighted in their ground breaking surveys of attitudes amongst girls and young women which found that:
- 47% of girls think that the pressure to look attractive is the most negative part of being female;
- 48% of young women aged 16–21 would consider cosmetic surgery; and
- Over one in ten girls aged 11–16 would consider cosmetic surgery to change the way they look.
‘Give yourself a chance’ has already received the backing of the Girlguiding UK youth panel Advocate!, Campaign for Body Confidence, Mumsnet and BAPRAS
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites