The evidence from NGBs (National Governing Bodies) in the UK clearly suggests that there are a number of transsexual people seeking to play competitive sport and their age range, ability and ambition varies considerably. NGBs will need to have policies and procedures in place with regard to transsexual people playing competitive sport that reflects this range.
Examples of transsexual athletes in the public domain include:
- Renee Richards who played women’s tennis in the 1970s and who is believed to have been the first transsexual professional athlete.
- Canadian Michelle Dumaresq who was Canada’s downhill mountain bike champion in 2003 and competed on the pro circuit.
- Nong Tum was a champion kickboxer in Thailand and the subject of the movie Beautiful Boxer. She won 22 professional fights, 18 by knockout, and is a household name in her home country. Officially retired in 1999 she made a comeback in 2006.
- Mianne Bagg
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites