The national picture
Sport England’s data gives an insight into who plays sport and how they play it.
Sport England’s data for 2013/14 shows that:
- 15.6 million adults now play sport at least once a week. That’s 1.7 million more than in 2005/6
- In addition, over 900,000 14–15-year-olds play sport at least once a week
- Most adults – 52% – still do not play sport
- 17.4% of adults now take part in at least three sport sessions a week – up from 15.5% in 2005/6
- There has been a statistically significant increase in six out of the nine English regions from 2005/6 to 2013/14.
Who plays sport?
The number of adults who play sport at least once a week is on the rise – but just over half of all adults play no sport.
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites