What can I do about being bullied or harassed?
If you are being bullied or harassed, you should take any action you decide upon as quickly as possible. It is always best to try to resolve this informally in the first instance as sometimes a quick word can be all it takes. However, if this fails there are a number of options to consider:
- see someone who you feel comfortable with to discuss the problem, perhaps someone in HR or a company counsellor
- talk to your trade union or staff representative
- keep a diary of all incidents, record: dates, times, witnesses, etc.
- keep any relevant letter, emails, notes, etc.
Why should I as an employer act against bullying or harassment?
Bullying and harassment create an unhappy and unproductive workplace where you may have:
- poor morale and poor employee relations
- loss of respect for managers or supervisors
- poor performance/lost productivity
- tribunal and other court cases and payment of unlimited compensation. ...
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites