This article is 6 years old.
to view the latest articles for this topic.
- For local travel consider leaving the car at home and either walk, cycle or use public transport.
- Keep the vehicle properly serviced.
- Check tyre pressures at least once a fortnight.
- Avoid carrying unnecessary weight in the boot.
- Plan the journey, so you don’t get lost and waste fuel.
- Try to avoid congested areas.
- When starting up, there is no need to allow the engine to warm up – it is better to just drive off.
- Try to avoid sudden acceleration, engine revving and sudden braking – harsh accelerating and braking can use up to 30% more fuel and increase wear and tear of the vehicle.
- Avoid using air conditioning if possible, as this uses more fuel.
- Drive with the windows closed, as this reduces drag on the vehicle.
- Accelerate more slowly.
- Switch the engine off if you think you are likely to be stationary for more than two minutes.
- On motorways
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites