This information may be useful if there is a history of mental illness in your family, and you are concerned that you may be also be affected. You may also find it useful if you have a mental illness yourself, and are concerned about the risk of your relatives having the same condition.
- Some research does suggest that mental illness can run in families.
- We do not fully understand what causes mental illness or why it can be passed on in family members.
- Mental illness is probably passed on for a variety of factors, rather than just genes.
- Although research might suggest that mental illness does run in families, it doesn’t mean you or a family member are inevitably going to become unwell.
- You might have questions if you are thinking of starting a family.
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites