- Almost 50% of people with eating disorders meet the criteria for depression.
- Only one in ten men and women with eating disorders receive treatment. Only 35% of people that receive treatment for eating disorders get treatment at a specialised facility for eating disorders.
- Up to 24 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder) in the U.S.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
- 91% of women surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting. 22% dieted ‘often’ or ‘always.’
- 86% report onset of eating disorder by age 20; 43% report onset between ages of 16 and 20.
- Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents.
- 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25.