This article is 6 years old.
to view the latest articles for this topic.
- Almost 50% of people with eating disorders meet the criteria for depression.
- Only one in ten men and women with eating disorders receive treatment. Only 35% of people that receive treatment for eating disorders get treatment at a specialised facility for eating disorders.
- Up to 24 million people of all ages and genders suffer from an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder) in the U.S.
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness.
- 91% of women surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting. 22% dieted ‘often’ or ‘always.’
- 86% report onset of eating disorder by age 20; 43% report onset between ages of 16 and 20.
- Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents.
- 95% of those who have eating disorders are between the ages of 12 and 25.
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites