By Sarah Farell
Tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors in the world and can provide an essential economic boost for countries pitching themselves as holiday destinations. Tourism, however, has historically had devastating effects on the environment, people and their cultural identities.
Enter the concept of sustainable tourism, which according to the United Nations World Tourism Organization must:
- Conserve environmental resources and protect biodiversity
- Respect and preserve the cultures of host communities whilst benefiting them
- Address the needs of the visitors and industry whilst providing socio-economic benefit to all.
In order for tourism to continue and for us to live within our planetary bounds and respect all people, the only option is for the world to move away from unconscious, mass tourism and learn from the existing examples of thriving sustainable tourism models.
What are some examp
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites