The super rich
- The top 1% earn £118,027 or more per year. (Source: BBC).
- In Bristol some of the top 1% are paid out of our council tax. (Source: Bristol Evening Post)
- In Bristol, many of the Merchant Venturers will be part of the 1%.
- The top 10% now have 100 times the wealth of the bottom 10%. (Source: Hills Report)
- The top 10% earn 4.1 times the incomes of the bottom 10%, with the top 1% earning more than ten times that of the bottom 10%. This figure was 3.1 in 1961.
- The average CEO earns 250 times more than the average cleaner.
- Levels of social mobility in the UK are the lowest among all developed economies.
- There are more than 50 hedge fund managers among Britain’s richest 1,000 people. (Source: Sunday Times Rich List)
The Bank of England estimates that the total cost of bailing out the financial system is £
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites