NCDs – a fast growing epidemic.
- NCDs kill 36 million people a year – more than all other causes combined. They are the most frequent cause of death in most countries and account for nearly two thirds of all deaths globally.
- If current trends continue, NCD deaths will increase by 15 per cent over the next decade, reaching 44 million a year.
- While infectious disease deaths are projected to decline by about seven million over the next 20 years, cardiovascular disease and cancer deaths are expected to increase by ten million.
- The World Economic Forum identifies NCDs as a top threat to the global economy.
NCDs hit low- and middle-income countries hardest
- Nearly four out of five deaths (80%) from NCDs occur in low- or middle-income countries.
- If current trends continue, by 2