How much physical activity should children and young people aged five to 18 do to keep healthy?
To stay healthy or to improve health, young people need to do three types of physical activity each week:
- aerobic exercise
- exercises to strengthen their bones
- exercises to strengthen their muscles.
The amount of physical activity you need to do each week is determined by your age.
- early childhood (under five years old)
- adults (19 to 64 years old)
- older adults (65 and over)
Guidelines for five- to 18-year-olds
To maintain a basic level of health, children and young people aged five to 18 need to do:
- at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day – this should range from moderate activity, such as cycling and playground activities, to vigorous