What is Prevent?
Prevent is one part of the UK’s CONTEST Counter Terrorism Strategy. It includes four sections:
- Pursue: to stop terrorist attacks
- Prevent: to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism
- Protect: to strengthen protection against a terrorist attack, and
- Prepare: to mitigate the impact of a terrorist attack.
Prevent is unique in that it involves all parts of Government such as the Home Office, the Cabinet Office, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Department for International Development.
When was Prevent released?
The revised Prevent Strategy was released in June 2011 with the full CONTEST Strategy being released in July 2011. These are the third versions of both strategies.
The need for an up-to-date strategy is reflected in both the British threat level, where there is continuing risk of a terrorist attack (for example:
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites