Many – perhaps most – people who use cannabis do enjoy it. But it can become a problem for some people. A US organisation, marijuana–anonymous.org, defines the problems of cannabis as follows:
‘If cannabis controls our lives and our thinking, and if our desires centre around marijuana – scoring it, dealing it and finding ways to stay high so that we lose interest in all else.’
The website carries the following questionnaire – which could equally well apply to alcohol use.
If you answer ‘Yes’ to any of the questions, you may have a problem.
1. Has smoking pot stopped being fun?
2. Do you ever get high alone?
3. Is it hard for you to imagine a life without marijuana?
4. Do you find that your friends are determined by your marijuana use?
5. Do you smoke marijuana to avoid dealing with your problems?
6. Do you smoke pot to cope with your feelings?
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites