Things to weigh up if you’re not sure whether to buy or rent
Owning your own home is a huge commitment, not just to the building you buy and the area you choose to live in, but also to your life (and to another person if you are buying with a loved one or friend).
Benefits of owning your home
- There are many benefits to home ownership. Here are just some of them.
- Once you’ve paid off your mortgage, your home will be yours and it could be worth far more than you paid for it.
- If your home increases in value you can use that equity to help you afford a bigger home or to fund a more comfortable retirement if you downsize.
- When you retire you won’t necessarily have the income you need to keep on paying rent – if you have paid your mortgage off you’ll be living there ‘rent free’.
- You can spend money improving your home and increasing its value, whereas you can’t alter
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites