In 2017-2018 there were 59,541 incidents of domestic abuse recorded by Police Scotland. Women made up 82% of the victims1.
In 2018-19 there were:
- 2,426 cases of rape and attempted rape reported to Police Scotland.1
- 5,123 cases of sexual assault reported to Police Scotland.1
- 8% increase in sexual crimes from 12,487 to 13,547. The recording of these crimes is at the highest level seen since 1971, the first year for which comparable groups are available.1
- While figures for many crimes in Scotland are going down, for sexual offences they continue to rise. Sexual crimes have been on a long-term upward trend since 1974, and have increased each consecutive year since 2008-09. Sexual crimes are at the highest level seen since 1971, the first year for which comparable crime groups are available.1
The actual figures are higher than these statistics suggest due to low reporting of these crimes. Scottish Crime and Justice Survey 2014 – 2015 showed that only 16.8% of people who were victim-su...
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites