Stress is a natural feeling, designed to help you cope in challenging situations. In small amounts it’s good because it pushes you to work hard and do your best. Stress heightens the senses and your reaction times, which means it can enhance your performance, including in exams.
Leaving home to start college means lots of big changes, such as moving to a new area, being separated from friends and family, establishing a new social network, managing on a tight budget and starting your studies.
For most students, these changes are exciting and challenging but, for some, they feel overwhelming and can begin to affect health.
The first signs of stress are:
- sleep problems.
- Too much stress can lead to physical and psychological problems, such as:
- anxiety (feelings ranging from uneasiness to severe and paralysing panic)
- dry mouth
- churning stomach
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites