There are lots of different types of talking therapy to suit all situations and people.
Choosing a therapy
Before you make your choice, think about:
What treatment would suit me? For example, do you think you’d prefer to deal with the here-and-now, or would you rather look at the past?
- How long will I have to wait?
- How long will the therapy last?
- Does it cost anything?
- Have I any preference about who I see – a man or woman, older or younger?
- Who may be able to recommend a therapist to me?
Which therapies work?
Researchers have found the following treatments to be effective in treating depression.
- Behavioural activation helps you get back into activities that you have stopped.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is based on the here and now. It focuses on what we do (Behaviour) and how it influences the way
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites