- Lesbians, gay men and bisexuals comprise around 6% of the population, or 3.5 million people, according to government estimates.
- 36% of gay employees will change careers if discrimination is continued.
- A third of gay staff conceal their sexual orientation from their employers and co-workers, yet ‘out’ employees in safe environments earn 50% more than their closeted peers.
- At least 55% of gay employees facing discrim-ination report a direct negative work impact.
- Approximately 20% of gay employees facing discrimination at work will consider suicide.
- ... and an important market
- The ‘pink pound’ is estimated to be worth £70 billion.
- 74% of gay and 42% of straight consumers are less likely to buy products from companies that hold negative views of lesbians and gay men.
© BITC Diversity: www.bitcdiversity.org.uk&nb
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites