Annual estimates of travel and tourism visits to the UK (of less than 12 months’ duration) and associated earnings and expenditure between the UK and the rest of the world.
- There were fewer overseas residents’ visits to the UK in 2018 than in 2017 and also a fall in the number of visits abroad by UK residents.
- A total of 37.9 million visits were made by overseas residents to the UK in 2018, which was 3% fewer than in 2017.
- There were 71.7 million visits overseas by UK residents in 2018, a decrease of 1% when compared with 2017.
- UK residents spent £45.4 billion on visits overseas in 2018, which was 1% more than in 2017.
- Overseas residents spent £22.9 billion on visits to the UK in 2018, a decrease of 7% compared with 2017.
- The most frequent reason for visits was for holidays, both for UK residents visiting abroad and overseas residents visiting the UK.
Both UK trips abroad and
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites