It’s important that ageism, often called age discrimination, is addressed to ensure that nobody loses out because of their age.
Perhaps you have been in a situation where you have been discriminated against due to your age. You may be fully aware that you have been subject to ageism, but sometimes it’s not so obvious.
Although ageism is often seen as a workplace issue, you may face it when you’re out shopping, at the doctor’s surgery, or even when ordering products and services over the phone.
Older people may experience...
- Losing a job because of their age.
- Being refused interest-free credit, a new credit card, car insurance or travel insurance because of their age.
- Receiving a lower quality of service in a shop or restaurant because of the organisation’s attitude to older people.
- Not being eligible for benefits such as Disability Living Allowance due to age limits.
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites