Who can register?
- Two people may register a civil partnership provided they are of the same sex;
- They are not already in a civil partnership or lawfully married;
- They are not within prohibited degrees of relationship (e.g. closely related);
- They are both aged 16 or over (and, if either of them is under 18, the consent of the appropriate person has been obtained).
What happens at a civil partnership registration?
A civil partnership is registered once the couple have signed the civil partnership document (the schedule) in the presence of a registrar and two witnesses.
There are words printed on the document which the couple will be able to say at the time of signing the document, but the couple are not legally required to say any words – there is therefore no prescribed ceremony that you have to go through – it is the signing of the schedule which makes the process legally reco
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites