The findings reveal the extent to which rising homelessness is affecting young people aged 16–24.
According to Young & Homeless report, a survey of 79 homeless charities and 108 local authority housing services found that, over the past year:
- Nearly half of homelessness services (44%) and councils (48%) have seen an increase in young people seeking help because they are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless;
- The number one cause for homelessness among this age group is relationship breakdowns with family and friends, and cases of this have increased;
- The majority (62%) of young homeless clients seen by charities were not in education, employment or training, and 46% were in financial difficulties; and
- A quarter of young clients (26%) seen by services had experience of sleeping rough.
The study also looked at how services are responding to increased demand among this age group and their res
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites