Bulimia nervosa is getting rid of food by purging, taking laxatives and even excessive exercise.
Bulimia Nervosa: is this you?
Emotions and behaviour
- You feel out of control of food; you are desperate to control your weight but eat compulsively at times.
- Bulimia feels like an addiction. Eating rules your life.
- You are fearful of weight gain and feel very bad about your body and shape. You act as if you were confident but your self-esteem is low.
- You may promise to stop your bulimia, but it somehow doesn’t happen and you are ashamed in case people discover what is going on.
- Food feels like a friend and a foe, wish you could just take it or leave it.
- You have mood swings, often for no reason; you feel depressed, alone and low.
- You have started purging as a desperate way to control your weight, but it isn’t working well and your weight may start increasing.