An extract from Statistics on Obesity, Physical Activity and Diet, England, 2020.
- 11,117 hospital admissions directly attributable to obesity
- An increase of 4% on 2017/18, when there were 10,660 admissions
- 876 thousand hospital admissions where obesity was a factor
- An increase of 23% on 2017/18, when there were 711 thousand admissions
- The majority of adults were overweight or obese; 67% of men and 60% of women.
- This included 26% of men and 29% of women who were obese.
- 20% of year 6 children were classified as obese
- Prevalence was over twice as high in the most deprived areas than the least deprived areas.
- 67% of adults were considered active (as per government guidelines)
- 47% of children and young people were meeting the current physical activity guidelines.
Adult overweight and obesity
Overweight and obesity are terms that refer to an excess of body fat and they usually relate to increased weight-for-height. The most common method of measuring obesity is the Body Mass I...
Want to see the rest of this article?
Would you like to see the rest of this article and all the other benefits that Issues Online can provide with?
- Useful related articles
- Video and multimedia references
- Statistical information and reference material
- Glossary of terms
- Key Facts and figures
- Related assignments
- Resource material and websites